PORNIC CASTLE

  • Chateau de Pornic heritage Destination Pornic
  • Château de Pornic Destination Pornic
  • Château de Pornic Destination Pornic
  • Gourmalon View from the Castle of Pornic
  • Château de Pornic Destination Pornic
Chateau de Pornic heritage Destination PornicChâteau de Pornic Destination Pornic Château de Pornic Destination Pornic Gourmalon View from the Castle of Pornic Château de Pornic Destination Pornic

Presentation

The castle of Pornic is the symbolic building of the city pornicaise. Its original appearance dates from the late nineteenth century.
In the fifteenth century, the infamous Gilles de Rais, companion of Joan of Arc, was the owner but did not reside.


The castle is private. It can be visited during the guided tours of the Tourist Office and also in season with guided tours organized by the owner of the castle.

To access the courtyards of the castle of Pornic :

   - walking tour of the city with access to the gardens of the castle "CITÉ MÉDIÉVALE ET MARITIME"
   - special visit children 8-10 years in the gardens of the castle "ONCE UPON A TIME ... THE CASTLE OF PORNIC".

It also opens its doors during the European Heritage Days on the third weekend of September.

To discover some rooms inside the castle of Pornic, private property and inhabited, two possibilities are offered according to the seasons:

   - Guided tour led by the guides of the tourist office IN THE INTIMACY OF THE CASTLE OF PORNIC : (from 10 years exclusively - Single rate 7 €) from late October to late April.
  - COMMENTARY TOUR OF PORNIC CASTLE (Price 7 € - Free for children under 10) from mid-April to the end of October.


Tickets on sale in all information offices (La Bernerie-Retz, Les Moutiers-en-Retz, La Plaine-sur-Mer, Pornic, Préfailles, Saint-Michel-Chef-Chef and Villeneuve-en-Retz).
Bathed on one side by the sea, the castle of Pornic is built on a defensive site. It was once surrounded by water on both sides.

In the middle of the tenth century, Alain Barbe Torte, Duke of Brittany, made Pornic a stronghold by building a wooden castle. It is occupied by a garrison that protects the entrance to Pornic.

In the thirteenth century, it belongs to the lords of Rais who built a new stone castle. The most famous lord of Rais will be Gilles de Rais in the fifteenth century who did not reside there preferring the castle of Machecoul.

At the end of the XVIIIth century, the castle is the property of the Marquis of Brie Serrant. With the French Revolution his property was confiscated and the castle fell into ruin.

At the beginning of the XIXth century, Joseph Le Breton bought the remains of the castle and made it a place of residence.

At the end of the XIXth century, the architect François Bougouin from Nantes gave the castle its current aspect after the works realized between 1897 and 1899.
Information
  • PERIOD OF SITE OR HISTORIC MONUMENT :
    • Medieval
    • 19th century
  • VISITS :
    • Individual guided tours
    • Only on booking
  • PETS :
    • Pets not allowed
  • ACESSIBILITY :
    • No access for mobility impaired persons
  • Geographical zone :
    • Pornic

Map

Map

FICHE_INFO_SIMPLE_LIBELLE_DESTINATION
CHATEAU DE PORNIC
Rue Fernand de Mun
44210
PORNIC
GPS coordinates
Latitude : 47.11398
Longitude : -2.10552
Contact details
PORNIC CASTLE
Rue Fernand de Mun
44210
PORNIC