THE DE LA SALLE CASTLE

  • Château de la Salle à Fresnay en Retz
  • Château de la Salle à Fresnay en Retz
Château de la Salle à Fresnay en RetzChâteau de la Salle à Fresnay en Retz

Presentation

In 1368, the Colard de la Salle family owned the Seigneurie de la Salle land, a residence with its wooden enclosure. His daughter Olive de la Salle united with Jean de Croisil around 1405, so the estate passed to the Croisil family. It was at this time that the first fortified castle was built, and of which only the base of two towers remains today.
By succession, the Domaine de la Salle, in 1583, belonged to the Venier family, governor of the Duchy of Retz. The Venier family will then unite with the Bastelard line.

Louis XIV created in 1681, the Châtellenie de la Salle en Fresnay, by uniting the latter with that of Noë Briord, which had bought in 1675, Henri de Bastelard.

It is also the latter, who rebuilt the Church of Fresnay in 1684, testifies to a stone sealed in the wall of the Church.

Always by marital succession, we find in 1719, Louis de la Roche St André, owner of the Hall.

But in 1784, the estate was acquired from the Cebert family, who, moreover, was mayor of Fresnay.

It was the De Rengervé family, a large de Fresnay family, who then bought the château.

The castel was burnt down in 1794 by the Republican troops, but rebuilt around 1805 by the Cebert family. Once again set on fire, it was therefore renovated; Today, it is a noble building that looks great in its landscape.
Information
  • PERIOD OF SITE OR HISTORIC MONUMENT :
    • 19th century
    • 20th century
  • THEMES OF MUSEUM OR INTERPRETATION CENTRE :
    • History
  • Geographical zone :
    • Villeneuve-en-retz

Map

Map

FICHE_INFO_SIMPLE_LIBELLE_DESTINATION
CHÂTEAU DE LA SALLE
La Salle
Fresnay-en-Retz
44580
VILLENEUVE EN RETZ
GPS coordinates
Latitude : 47.00867
Longitude : -1.86067
Contact details
THE DE LA SALLE CASTLE
La Salle
Fresnay-en-Retz
44580
VILLENEUVE EN RETZ